A commentary about sports, media, and interpersonal relationships encountered throughout everyday life.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

God Bless You Glen Perkins

Any goober (like myself) that didn't dive all over Jonathan Broxton when Takashi Saito injured his arm last week was in a bit of a pickle for this shortened week.  A few days ago, I gave one short term solution.  This solution wasn't going to get you any saves, he probably wasn't going to get you any strikeouts, in fact, he probably wasn't going to do much... other than pitch beautifully against one of the most fierce offenses in the Majors.

This man is Glen Perkins, the sole recommendation I gave for Saito owners this past week.  Last night, Perkins did his best to make me look like a genius for giving him the nod against Josh "The Great Hambino" Hamilton and the Texas Rangers.

Anyone who took that advice got this nice little stat line added to their Box Score for the week:

6 Innings Pitched, 0 Earned Runs, 3 Hits, 3 Walks, 1 Strike out, and 1 Win

Okay, so he didn't set the world on fire, but he helped your ERA with 6 shut out innings and a 'W' never hurts.  In points-leagues, he was more than serviceable accruing a respectable number for your team, despite not having very many strike outs.

For now...  It's time to say 'Good-Bye' to Glen.  That's right, I want you to drop Glen Perkins from your team.  You have to always remember what some experts refer to as the "Shawn Chacon Rule:" DON'T CHASE WINS!

More second half pitching recommendations to come soon.

2 comments:

Mike Plugh said...

I picked him up a few weeks ago in our Yahoo league because he slots in as RP/SP and I can keep a starter in the RP slot to eat up outs and Ks. He's done a nice job for me, but not half as nice as another guy who fits the same bill....Justin Duchsherer.

Brian McFadden said...

You got that right. I think Duke K's a few more guys than Perkins, but if you have him in an AL-Only (like ours), he does fit the bill of a poor man's Justin Duchsherer.

For mixed leagues, I can't say that I'd hang on to him on a permanent basis... I would need a few more K's to make it worth my while... you agree?