A commentary about sports, media, and interpersonal relationships encountered throughout everyday life.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Saito Watch

Not to be confused with fellow baseball blogger Mike Plugh's Yuki Saito Watch, this Saito watch surrounds the current elbow ailment of L.A. Dodger closer Takashi Saito.  Despite the All Star Break, I'm sure that anyone who has Saito on their fantasy team has been at work refreshing Dodger message boards, Rotoworld, et al. in hopes that some news on this morning's MRI would be revealed.

However, unlike Alex Rodriguez and Scott Boras during last fall's World Series debut, Joe Torre and the Dodgers decided it would be a good idea to wait until after the Home Run Derby and All Star Game to let the world know what exactly is going on with Takashi Saito.  Sure it's a classy move... but what else would you expect from an organization run by Joe Torre...

Yet...  I can't help but feel a bit selfish.  As a Saito owner, I want to know if I'm wasting my time (not to mention a roster spot) with this 38 year-old closer.  I know what you're thinking... and I can't blame you for asking:  "Fadds, what about Jonathan Broxton?  You picked him up... right?"

My answer:  "Don't Ask."  I spent an entire weekend with my girlfriend.  Pools, Barbecues, Beer, Carnivals, you name it...  I was there.  It was fantastic.  But... it cost me Jonathan Broxton.  I'm not upset about it... far from it.  I just want an answer already!  Let me know if it's time for me to add Manny Corpas before Brian Fuentes is traded to either the Yankees or the Phillies  (which is a pick up I recommend looking into if you're starved for Saves).

For the latest news on Saito, I've been checking his ProTrade page.  They're fairly pessimistic... but I like that straight shooting when it comes to guys on my team.  Personally, I wouldn't cut Saito loose just yet... wait for the calm, soothing voice of Joe Torre to let you down easy before making a drastic move like that.

I'll be back tomorrow to let you know who I am looking at as possible replacements for Saito on my team and yours.  Until then, have a night cap and attempt to get some sleep despite this uneasy news (especially if you're a team with play-off aspirations).

No comments: