A commentary about sports, media, and interpersonal relationships encountered throughout everyday life.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Takashi Saito Update: Dear Lord No!

So it's not season-ending surgery... but it's a Kelvim Escobar-esque rehab.  Essentially, what the Dodgers have informed us all is that Takashi Saito could have surgery, but, in the interest of the organization's play-off aspirations, he's going to take six weeks off and attempt to rehab afterwards.

So this leaves Saito owners who did not grab Jonathan Broxton in a sticky situation...  Personally, as you 
may have noticed in my last post, I am one of these owners.  Due to the short week, I am looking at favorable match-ups that may pay an immediate dividend for me before considering Saito's long-term replacement on my fantasy team.

The most interesting option to me, is Glen Perkins of the Twins.  He's on a decent role with the Twinkies and is matched up against a somewhat flammable Kevin Millwood.  Though he's facing off against the Rangers, Perkins will be staring down a Home Run Derbied-out Josh Hamilton and two All-Star Game wearied Rangers in Michael Young (who finally ended this madness as I write) and Ian Kinsler.

Over his past three starts, Perkins has been kind of impressive:

June 30:  6.1 Innings, 7 Hits, 2 Earned Runs, 1 Walk, and 7 Strike Outs
July 6:  7.0 Innings, 7 Hits, 3 Earned Runs, 1 Walk, and 3 Strike Outs
July 11:  6.2 Innings, 6 Hits, 2 Earned Runs, 2 Walks, and 2 Strike Outs

In all CBS Sports Fantasy leagues, Perkins has only a 24% ownership.  So, if you're looking for a quick fix for the upcoming short week (and can't get Jonathan Broxton), that's the direction I'd go.

I'll be back on later today with some long term replacements for Saito.  In the meanwhile, take a look at the three undervalued starters I mentioned last week and a few hot July pitchers I mentioned a few weeks ago.

No comments: